Saturday, June 23, 2007

Atmosphere: We Sing For the Monster


Atmosphere is a Minnesota based, hip-hop duo consisting of rapper Slug (Sean Daley) and DJ/Producer Ant (Anthony Davis).

Atmosphere are one of my all time favorite artists mostly because of Slug's voice. It grabs you and spits in your face, and I enjoy music like that. Atmosphere is a group that puts a great amount of emotion behind each lyrical phrase that intertwines perfectly with the melodic beats of each track.

Lucy Ford is probably one of my favorite Atmosphere albums because I, as the listener, can identify with most of the songs. Their visual lyrics and analogies seem to take hold of your brain. You can close your eyes and picture what Slug is talking about. Those are some crazy skills. A clever verse that I enjoyed was from "Like Today", the second song off the Lucy Ford EP: "so I dipped back out into a cloud of tattoos / pierced body parts and colorful hairdos / and I questioned, did Babylon resemble this? / are we getting any closer to the end of the list? / a sensuous kiss, placed on apoco-lips."

My favorite song from this same album is number 14, "The Woman with the Tattooed Hands". To me, this song was so powerful. I absolutely loved it.

A good amount of people have had an unsuccessful relationship, therefore they can understand where Slug is coming from when he says, "As much as I hate myself, I hate you more / But I still smile when you come through that door / And as much as I hate my life, I hate yours too / Just can't seem to teach myself to ignore you".

This is their video for the song "Say Hey There" that's off their latest album, "You Can't Imagine How Much Fun We're Having".

I know this article doesn't do much for Atmosphere but I love them and hope that you'll check them out after you read this.

Written By: Amanda

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger Connoisseur said...

After I watched the "You cant imagine how much fun were having" video i watched a video called scapegoat by him and it just captivated me because the way he did the scapegoat song is how I feel and think at times its just all over the place like its this its that its this its that and he just addressed that so perfectly I like the way he portrays hisself through hip hop but its still indie cuz he does it in his own way he's upfront and talks about truths and is real. So I think this is a good post and worthy conversation so props to amanda for this.

September 22, 2007 at 10:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home